Protégé’s unique radiofrequency (RF) technology safely heats the deeper layers of your skin. This stimulates existing collagen and promotes new collagen growth over time resulting in smoother, tighter skin. This is a non-invasive and non-surgical treatment.
Radiofrequency (RF) is an electromagnetic energy with a wavelength just longer than microwaves. RF uses the tissue’s resistance within the various layers of the skin to transform the RF energy given to the skin into thermal energy, which heats the dermis and subcutaneous tissues in a controlled manner without inflicting any damage to the epidermis.
Since RF energy produces an electrical current instead of a light source, tissue damage can be minimized, and epidermal melanin is not damaged either. With this knowledge, RF energies can be used for patients of all skin types – that is, it is colorblind and allows for different depths of penetration based on what is to be treated, allowing for ultimate collagen contraction and production of new collagen.
While pain tolerance is individual, most people respond to Protégé RF treatment well, and have minimal or transient discomfort. There is only a moderate to intense sensation of heat, which tells you that the treatment is achieving its goal.
There is NO ANESTHETIC required with the Protégé treatment. Following treatment, your skin may be slightly red for less than 24 hours.
Radiofrequency is not a laser.
There is no downtime with this procedure. You may go about your normal activities.
This will be determined following your consultation, but the average is 4 treatments.
Treatments are typically provided every 10-14 days.
Results vary from patient to patient. Immediate results are usually visible following the second treatment, and the RF stimulates new natural collagen production for up to six months following a treatment series. The major portion of the clinical improvement is evident at 3 months following your last treatment.
Based on the patient’s natural aging process along with diet/nutrition, sun and environmental exposure, a maintenance treatment periodically will help maintain results.
Sun exposures DOES NOT affect your ability to receive Protégé treatments. You may be tan when you have the treatment and you may tan following your treatment session, but this is NOT encouraged as UV light breaks down collagen. The Protégé device may be used safely on any skin type or color. The treatments are provided throughout the year, even during summer, as there are no photosensitivity issues.
You are not required to do anything special prior to your treatment other than to come to your appointments well hydrated.
Men undergoing facial treatments must shave the morning of the treatment.
You may continue all medications, supplements, and vitamins during your treatment period.
Please see the detailed information WHICH FOLLOWS for additional important information.
It is also worth noting that when RF therapy is used in combination with other modalities such as microneedling, chemical peels and medical grade skincare, the results derived from RF treatment can be enhanced. Medical skincare is highly recommended for optimal results.
- Protégé for skin tightening is contra-indicated in patients with metal implants such as a pacemaker, internal defibrillator or other active or non-active metal devices (ports, metal plates, pins etc.).
- Treatment is contraindicated in women who are pregnant or lactating.
- Severe heart disease.
- Connective tissue diseases (lupus, etc.).
- Any active condition in the treatment area, such as sores, psoriasis, eczema, and rash.
- History of skin malignancy in the proposed area of treatment.
ONE TO THREE DAYS BEFORE TREATMENT
- Begin hydration – 8 glasses of water (64 oz.) starting the day before, the day of treatment, and the day after treatment
- Discontinue all retinol products 3 nights before treatment.
- Also, ideally reduce or avoid coffee, tea, alcohol and other diuretics (except prescription medication) starting the day before treatment.
DAY OF TREATMENT
- Void before treatment as the treatment may last 45 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes
- Wear comfortable clothing (no metal such as under-wire bra or metal on a camisole). We will need access to your upper back (most common), buttocks or thigh for placement of the grounding pad.
- No make-up, creams or lotion on skin, including the area of grounding pad, such as upper back.
- No jewelry. Please remove prior to your appointment.
- Men undergoing facial treatments must shave the morning of the treatment.
POST TREATMENT INFORMATION AND INSTRUCTIONS
- You may experience transient redness that will last from a few minutes to an hour or possibly longer, in the area of treatment.
- Your skin may feel warm immediately after the treatment, but this will dissipate quickly.
- If you had your lower face, chin, neck or décolleté treated, you may have some tenderness in the area for a few hours or a day after.
- Treatment of the eyelids may yield some swelling and you are encouraged to sleep on two pillows for 24-48 hours.
- Continue to hydrate.